Foot orthotics are specialised shoe inserts designed to support the natural shape of the foot, align the ankle and improve posture and overall foot function. Orthotics are suitable for people of all ages (infants to the elderly) with a variety of foot or lower limb problems. Its important to speak to a qualified professional to determine if orthotics are needed in your case or not and which particular type.
Orthotics can provide relief for acute and chronic pain in your feet and lower limbs and can also assist with joint and muscle imbalances. Here are some common conditions treated with orthotics (orthoses):
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Ball-of-foot pain
- Flat feet
- Heel pain
- High arched feet
- Knee pain
- Knock knees
- Leg length differences
- Lower back pain
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Pronation (“rolling in” feet)
- In-toe walking (“pigeon-toed”)
Here at Riverside Podiatry we have 2 main types of orthotics – specialised-prefabricated or custom-made orthotics. The type of orthotic issued by your podiatrist is depending on the individual’s symptoms, age, weight, activity level, biomechanics and foot type.
Some of the benefits that can be achieved through orthoses are below:
- Support your feet and legs to improve balance, muscle function and sporting performance
- Improve posture and weight distribution
- Correct the alignment of joints and muscles throughout the feet and lower limbs
- Improve chronic and acute injuries
- Improve shock absorption
- Help your child’s foot grow in a more anatomically aligned position and help reach their developmental milestones
- Reduces lower back pain
- Eliminate leg length differences.
The prefabricated orthotic can be heat moulded around your foot and additions can be easily added onto the device; these can be moulded and issued on the same day. The custom orthotics require a cast to be taken of your foot. Once the orthotics are made, they will be fitted into your shoes.
For more information on how we create the customised orthotics see this article Stepping into the future with 3D scanning.
If you think you might need orthotics give us a call (02 43239100) or BOOK ONLINE to find out!