How can we help toe-walking?
There are many different treatment options available for toe-walking in children which is determined by the cause and its severity.
Where toe-walking is encouraged by tight calf muscles and Achilles tendon, our podiatrists will work with you and your child to gently loosen the muscles while helping to support their feet and ankles. This may involve:
- Monitoring for idiopathic toe walking to see if a child “outgrows” the condition
- A gentle stretching program
- Soft tissue therapy of the calves and Achilles tendon
- Heel raises in the shoe that progressively reduce with a stretching regime and increased sensory feedback
- In-shoe devices, such as orthotics
- Carbon fibre / polypropylene / subortholen plates, if necessary.
In more severe cases, treatment options may include a referral for Botox therapy, surgical lengthening of the Achilles tendon and/or serial casting, or referral to a specialist for serious neuro-muscular disorders.
Here at Riverside Podiatry we understand how concerning toe-walking can be for parents. Our podiatrists do everything they can to promote healthy foot function, growth and development for your little ones. If you are worried about how your child walks, bring them in for a paediatric-specific assessment with one of our experienced podiatrists.